The Practical Nursing program prepares individuals to practice under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician. Practical nurses work toward the maintenance of health and prevention of illness, observe and care for persons experiencing changes in their health processes, and evaluate health practices of patients. The PN program is offered on the Maysville and Rowan (Morehead) campuses, and at the Montgomery Extension.
Acceptance into the Practical Nursing program is based on a selective admissions process. Requirements are as follows:
- application for admission to the college
- official high school transcript verifying graduation or official passing GED scores
- official transcript from each college or university previously attended
- recent ACT (or equivalent) scores of 18 or greater or COMPASS scores from Category I (COMPASS scores strongly preferred) and TEAS scores (see Frequently Asked Questions).
- current Red Cross or American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Level CPR certification (online certification not acceptable); must be kept current during the program
- successful completion of a Medicaid Nurse Aide or equivalent course within the past three (3) years
- proof of active status on the Kentucky State Nurse Aide Registry
- successful completion of program prerequisites with a grade of "C" or higher
- attendance at one (1) pre-admission conference per admission cycle
- Maysville Campus Pre-Admission Conference Dates - Fall Semester 2013
- Rowan Campus Pre-Admission Conference Dates - Fall Semester 2013
Length of Program
Upon acceptance into the program, Practical Nursing students on the Maysville and Rowan campuses will spend 18 months completing the core practical nursing classes. Students at the Montgomery Extension will spend four (4) semesters completing the core classes. The PN program at the Montgomery Extension is offered in a part-time, night and weekend sequence. This is subject to change.
Upon successful completion of the Practical Nursing Program, students will be eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) at designated testing centers.
For More Information
Coordinator, Maysville Campus
606-759-7141, ext. 66253
Coordinator, Rowan Campus
606-783-1538, ext. 66319
606-759-7141, ext. 66149
Instructor, Montgomery Extension
859-499-6282, ext. 66379
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.